|“||Be my æ! Annyeonghaseyo, aespa imnida!||”|
The meaning of aespa has multiple meanings, with the use of æ standing for both "Avatar X Experience" as well as becoming an "aspect" being both sides. Another meaning of aespa is meeting another avatar of yourself and experiencing a new world, you always perform at your best despite fear and doubts, and beauty & aesthetic.
History[edit | edit source]
2020: aespa debut[edit | edit source]
On October 26, 2020, a video was posted onto aespa's twitter which revealed the name of the group and their logo. S.M. Entertainment then went on to announce that they will be debuting their new girl group sometime in November. On October 27, S.M. Entertainment revealed Winter as the first member of aespa. On October 28, Karina was revealed as the second member of aespa. On October 28th during a press conference for Aespa, SM founder Lee-Soo Man announced the group would have four idol members and four virtual members. This would create "a future world [that] centers on celebrities and avatars and transcends boundaries between real and virtual worlds". During this press conference a teaser video was revealed showing the two revealed members Winter and Karina as well as two unrevealed members, Ningning and Giselle. The teaser also showed one of the virtual members, æ-KARINA as well as the AI system, NAVIS. On October 29, Ningning was officially revealed as the third member of aespa. On October 30, Giselle was officially revealed as the fourth member of aespa. On November 2nd it was announced that aespa would be making their debut with the digital single "Black Mamba" on November 17th. On November 17th, aespa's fandom was revealed to be "MY." "MY" means 'The most precious friend' in KWANGYA where aespa's Avatars live.
2021: "Forever"[edit | edit source]
On January 21, 2021, Cheon-hoon of Sonic Korea Mastering Studio teased aespa's comeback single, titled "Forever". The teaser was taken down a few hours after being posted.On January 29, 2021, aespa's official Twitter account promoted the hashtag #늘_네_옆에_난_서있을게 (#I_will_always_stand_by_your_side). It was later revealed that the group would release the single "Forever" on February 5. Forever is the remake of the same name song by Yoo Young Jin as a part of S.M. Entertainment’s holiday album “Winter Vacation in SMTOWN.com” in 2000. Concept photos were released on February 1 through February 4. On February 4, 2021, SM made a statement stating that aespa will be releasing three performance videos that show a variety of concepts on the 6th, 8th, and 10th A couple hours later, the M/V teaser for “Forever” was released on SMTOWN’s YouTube channel.
On February 10th, aespa was announced as the new brand ambassador for Givenchy.
Members[edit | edit source]
|Birth Name||Stage Name||Birth Date||Position||Avatar|
|Yoo Ji-min||Karina||April 11, 2000||Leader, Main Dancer, Lead Rapper, Vocalist, Face of the Group||æ-KARINA|
|Uchinaga Eri||Giselle||October 30, 2000||Main Rapper, Vocalist||æ-GISELLE|
|Kim Min-jeong||Winter||January 1, 2001||Lead Vocalist, Lead Dancer, Visual||æ-WINTER|
|Ning Yi Zhuo||Ningning||October 23, 2002||Main Vocalist, Maknae||æ-NINGNING|
Discography[edit | edit source]
Digital Singles[edit | edit source]
Endorsements[edit | edit source]
- Givenchy (2021)
Awards and nominations[edit | edit source]
Main article: List of Awards and Nominations
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- æspa's icon logo appeared in SuperM's "One (Monster & Infinity)" music video, in the ending scene.
- This SuperM's song appeared in the "MY KARINA" teaser.
- Beside "One (Monster & Infinity)", Super M's "Tiger Inside", EXO's "Obsession" and NCT 127's "Kick It" are featured in the "MY KARINA" teaser.
- The members' favorite snack is Butter Caramel Pringles, a limited edition flavor only available in Korea. Due to its rarity, the members have mentioned struggling to find it at convenience stores.
Theories[edit | edit source]
- ㅅㅍㅇ (슈퍼엠/SuperM) in hangul backwards is ㅇㅅㅍ (에스파/Aespa). This supports the theory that Aespa is the female version of SuperM or the two groups are somehow connected.
- Some have thought that the video was released to cover up the current drama involving Irene from Red Velvet, comparing it to the time Red Velvet was debuted in 2014 to cover up EXO's and f(x)'s situations at the time.
- During the teaser video MY, KARINA æ-KARINA mentions "Rekall time" which seems to be the amount of time Avatars can spend in the real world with the members.
- In the SYNK teaser videos, each member has a representative symbol (Karina - Heart, Winter - Star, Ningning - Butterfly, Giselle - Moon)
- So far we've also seen individual numbers (Winter - 44, Giselle - 22)
- There could be a possibility of individual animals (Winter - Husky, Giselle - Unicorn, Ningning - Butterfly, Karina - Whale) based on the SYNK videos.
- If this is true then Ningning would be the only member whose symbol is the same as her representative animal
Videos[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Links[edit | edit source]
- Official Facebook
- Official Instagram
- Official Twitter
- Official Weibo
- Official YouTube
- Official Melon
- Official Spotify
- Official TikTok
- Official VLive
References[edit | edit source]
- translation of Newsen article
- SM Town- New girl group Aespa to debut in November!
- Translation of 20.10.28 press conference
- SMTOWN Announcement
- Fandom name revealed
- The Performance Stage
- 'One (Monster & Infinity)', 4:02
- 'MY, KARINA', 0:42
- 'MY, KARINA', 1:07
- 'MY, KARINA', 1:33
- MY time, aespa! Lesson 1 Part 2 4:41
- SuperM Union Twitter
[edit | edit source]
|Members||Karina • Giselle • Winter • Ningning|
|Avatars||æ-KARINA • æ-GISELLE • æ-WINTER • æ-NINGNING|
|Digital Singles||Black Mamba • Forever|
|Title Tracks||Black Mamba • Forever|
|Unreleased Songs||SYNK • Run|
|Youtube Series||MY time, aespa! • MerrY MerrY aespa • Forever Fairies|